Sector institutes operate in specific disciplines within the framework of the Netherlands’ international cultural policy. They are up to date with the latest developments and are acquainted with influential international cultural programmers and curators.
The institute’s tasks include providing assistance with the development of plans and they are responsible for building an international network as well as the international promotion of the sector.
Sector institutes do not provide subsidies; this is the responsibility of the culture funds. Sector institutes do provide practical, and sometimes material support, for example for finding reliable international partners, suitable locations and for presentations at exhibitions.
Almost all sector institutes have a Foreign Visitors’ Programme. This programme helps foreign cultural professionals to become acquainted with Dutch organisations, view performances, visit exhibitions and exchange information on opportunities for international cooperation.
- Amateur arts: Kunstfactor (do not have a Foreign Visitors’ Programme);
- Architecture: Netherlands Architecture Institute
- Visual arts: Mondriaan Foundation
- Cultural heritage: The Netherlands Institute for Heritage
- e-culture: Virtual Platform
- Film: eye film institute netherlands
- Literature: Dutch Foundation for Literature
- Music: Music Center the Netherlands
- Theatre and dance: Netherlands Theatre Institute
- Design: Premsela Dutch platform for design and fashion